This issue is a chronological history of the Baker Seed House authored by Priscilla Ellwood Meinking, a granddaughter of the Baker family, and Angela R. Hinchey, a Life member of the Historical Society and member of the Board of Directors.
The origins of the Seed House begin with the purchase of farm lands in the years 1879 -1882, in both Danby and Rutland, bringing the families to the area. In the early days of the 20th Century Sidney Baker opened a Seed House on the family farm. As the years progressed the modest business expanded into a large seed and plant enterprise, eventually also adding a flower shop , that opened in 1919 in the Berwick Hotel.
The growth, and ultimate decline, leading to its closing in 1945, is meticulously documented. The text is accompanied by numerous family photographs creating a personal connection with a family that played a major role in the community